Probate is the legal process that takes place after someone dies and an estate is opened.
Estate administration process:
- Proving in court that a deceased person’s will is valid (usually a routine matter)
- Identifying and inventorying the deceased person’s property
- Having the property appraised
- Paying debts and taxes, and
- Distributing the remaining property as the will (or state law, if there’s no will) directs.
Typically, probate involves paperwork and court appearances by lawyers. The legal and probate fees are paid from estate property.
Probate in Pennsylvania is not costly. My routine documents provide for affordable, simple estate administration. I can usually prepare the necessary documents in two short appointments and answer general questions relating to these topics.